- The best way to learn
- How to recover from what you may perceive as a bad experience
- Advice for finding jam sessions & musical interaction
- The real truth about record sales
- The process for releasing a CD (It’s not as simple as you think)
- The personnel you need in your music team
- Riley‘s connections with Darren Rahn and Najee
This week we caught up with Canadian saxophonist, composer and band leader, Allison Au. Allison is busy taking her quartet all over Canada and the US getting her music into the world and doing a lot to advance this music we call jazz. Allison is a native of Toronto and still makes her home there where she is playing gigs, teaching, and composing on a regular basis. Watch out for Allison’s tour dates as she will most likely be in a city near you sometime soon. Allison has great insight on many aspects of the music business including touring, applying for grants and scholarships, maintaining a band based around her original music and playing the saxophone at the highest level. This is an insightfulContinue Reading …
Daniel Bennett is a saxophonist, woodwind artist, educator, and band leader based out of New York. Daniel has been hailed as one of the most original and unpredictable voices of his generation. Daniel leads his group all over the country on a regular basis, spreading his music to fans of creative music far and wide. This episode will be eye opening in many ways for all of the musicians Continue Reading …
Stephen “Doc” Kupka is best known as the foundation of the horn section for Tower of Power, having performed on Baritone Sax with them for 50 years and running.Ever since co-writing “You’re Still a Young Man,” he really has enjoyed songwriting. He wanted to showcase the many songs he has written over the years, so he established Strokeland Records in 1998.Doc’s longevity with performing and songwriting is truly Continue Reading …
Miguel Zenon is an alto saxophonist, composer, and band leader hailing from Puerto Rico. Miguel has been featured on over 70 recordings as a sideman and is about to release his 11th album under his own name. Miguel is a multiple Grammy Nominee and is also a recipient of the MacArthur Fellowship also known as the genius grant. Miguel lives in New York and also teaches at the famous New England Conservatory.
We caught up with Miguel to talk about his new recording set to come out on September 21st entitled, Yo Soy La Tradicion. We also managed to talk about his move to the United States, his development as a composer and saxophonist over the years and what he does to maintain his high level of playing through a busy schedule. We also chatted about teaching advanced students and asked him our famous five questions. I think you’re going to really enjoy this interview so sit back, relax, and let’s get into it with Miguel Zenon!
In this interview:
- The concept and execution of Yo Soy La Tradicion.
- The challenges and rewards of writing for string quartet.
- The overwhelming presence of Puerto Rican traditional music in Miguel’s compositions.
- The evolution of Miguel’s saxophone playing and composing process.
- What it’s like teaching students who are extremely advanced.
- The most important aspect of being a saxophonist in Miguel’s opinion.
- The wet-dry cycle: how and why it wears down reeds and what you can do about it
- Why humidifying reeds is not enough
- The research behind ReedJuvinate and why it works
- Why you MUST use original Listerine and not any other flavor
- How long it takes a reed to get acclimated when you are playing
- and much more…
Adam Larson is quickly becoming one of the most recognized names in the jazz world. Adam hails from Normal, IL and now lives, teaches, and performs in the New York City area. Adam has four albums as a leader and his latest album, Second City, received a four star rating in Downbeat and was listed as one of the best recordings of 2017. Adam is endorsed by P. Mauriat Saxophones and Vandoren.
His prowess on the saxophone and his work in education have impacted listeners and students from across the world. Adam is doing big things both on the playing side and he is getting ready to release his first etude book called Leaps and Sounds at the end of the month.Continue Reading …