Paul Haar is the creator of the online magazine TheSaxophonist.org and is also an Associate Professor of Saxophone and Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Paul is a mover and shaker in the world of saxophone and has some great things to say about teaching, performing, and the industry at large. We caught up with Paul as he is preparing to embark into his second year of running and publishing TheSaxophonist.org. We talk a lot about what goes into publishing a fine magazine of this caliber.
We also got the chance to talk to Paul about running the saxophone studio at the University of Nebraska. He has some great tips for prospective students as well as tips to make the most out of your college experience.
We also bend Paul’s ear for some insight on where the industry is in general and some of the things to watch out for in the coming year in regards to the saxophone and the industry surrounding everyone’s favorite instrument!
In this episode we discuss:
- Paul’s teaching style and what his entire studio seeks to accomplish.
- Tips for high school saxophonists looking to be accepted into a studio like Paul’s.
- Why he started his online magazine, the saxophonist.org.
- How he assembled his team of reviewers and writers for the magazine and what they do for the publication.
- What Paul is looking forward to in the coming year for his publication.
- How Paul sees the industry and saxophone world going forward.
- Paul answers our famous five questions!