Ian Hendrickson-Smith is on top of the musical world. He has one of the most diverse and amazing careers out of any musician playing right now. You can catch him on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, playing with the Roots, at a jazz club in New York City, or recording albums for his label, Rondette Jazz on any given night of the week. Ian was also the longtime bari player for Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. We caught up with Ian for a fascinating conversation about all things saxophone and music this week. Ian is a really genuine guy and had great answers to all of our questions. Get ready to be amazed by the one and only, Ian Hendrickson-Smith!
In this episode we discussed:
- How Ian maintains such a busy schedule and still finds time to keep doing more.
- His development as a musician including starting on another instrument.
- Living on the road 250 days a year while playing with Sharon Jones.
- Playing all the horns and how he approaches them.
- Running Rondette Jazz and how studying the art of recording has affected his music.
- Ian answers our famous five questions.