John Mackey is a MD and biomedical researcher, a passionate jazz musician, and lead alto sax player in the River City Big Band in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
John is the founder and creator of ReedJuvinate, a reed storage system that makes reeds instantly playable and germ-free.
In this episode, we cover:
- The wet-dry cycle: how and why it wears down reeds and what you can do about it
- Why humidifying reeds is not enough
- The research behind ReedJuvinate and why it works
- Why you MUST use original Listerine and not any other flavor
- How long it takes a reed to get acclimated when you are playing
- and much more…
Check out the video interview below (and please share 😊)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Love the podcast and although I don’t use cane reeds anymore this was good information. I did have a question about using synthetics with this system. Does anyone use it with synthetics like Legeres or fibracells, or would a simple wipe down with Listerine/alcohol/vodka address the bacteria/fungi growth issues ?
Thanks Marc! I use synthetics, but don’t use ReedJuvinate to hold them. I was them once a week with soap and lukewarm water, but a simple wipe-down like you mentioned would be a good idea too.