Jon Irabagon is one of the most original saxophone players on the scene today. After winning the Monk Competition in 2008, Jon has been making amazing records as well as becoming one of the most in demand sidemen in New York and the world over. Jon is also a super nice guy and more than willing to talk about the things he has done in his career and life that have gotten him to the point he is today. Jon has been on countless recordings over the years and stays busy recording and touring with such luminaries as Dave Douglas, Maria Schneider, Mary Halvorson, Michael Buble, and Peter Evans.
In this episode, we talk a lot about Jon’s new Record, Dr. Quixotic’s Traveling Exotics. This record is a fiery and interesting as any in his prolific output as a leader. Together with Tim Hagans, Luis Perdomo, Yasushi Nakamura, and Rudy Royston, this record is an experience that has to be heard. Jon and I also talked a lot about what it’s like to be one of the busiest musicians on the scene and what he does to stay sane and keep the great music coming. Jon is a really down to earth guy and I know you’ll enjoy getting to know him on the week’s episode.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- All about Jon’s new record, Dr. Quixotic’s Traveling Exotics
- Why he started his own record label and what opportunities that affords him.
- What it’s like to be constantly traveling the world and playing with top musicians.
- A frighteningly large transcription project he hopes to finish one day.
- What Jon makes all of his students study.
- The most important teacher in Jon’s life.
- Why Jon chooses to play unconventional instruments and what that means to him.
Check out the video interview below (and please share 😊)