Paul Cohen is one of America’s most sought-after saxophonists for orchestral and chamber concerts and solo recitals.
He has appeared as soloist with the San Francisco Symphony, New Jersey Symphony, and the Charleston Symphony.
His many solo orchestra performances include works by Debussy, Creston, Ibert, Glazunov, Martin, Loeffler, Husa, Dahl, Still, Villa-Lobos, Tomasi, and Cowell.
He has also performed with a broad range of orchestras, including the New York Philharmonic, Metropolitan Opera (NYC), American Symphony Orchestra, New Jersey Symphony, San Diego Symphony, and the Cleveland Orchestra.
Recent CDs include American Landscapes, (American music), Common Ground (chamber music), New York Rising ( American music for saxophone quartet), Heard Again for the First Time (premiering lost music) and his latest, Soprano Summit (soprano saxophone).
Dr. Cohen is currently on the faculties of the Manhattan School of Music, NYU, Columbia University and Rutgers University.
The opening music was Feathers and Sax, by Amanda Harberg, and the outro music was Lesson from the Sky, by Rodney Rogers, both from his latest CD, Soprano Summit.
We talked about:
- Why saxophone became the perfect instrument of choice for him
- Listening to Paul Desmond and playing by ear
- How the skill set of today’s generation changed
- Saxophone virtuosos students should listen to
- Developing musicianship
- Exploring other types of saxophones
- His new ‘Soprano Summit’ album and his approach on recording new music
If you don’t have any meaning or depth behind what you are saying, you might as well be reading out of a phone book
- Soprano Summit -The Movie: https://youtu.be/EZSpqYOafuk
- The Altissimo Primer – on Hickey’s Music site: https://www.hickeys.com/music/woodwinds/sax/methods_and_studies/studies_and_etudes/products/sku100323-cohen-paul-altissimo-primer-the-2014.php
- Paul’s email: email@example.com
Our sponsor for this episode is…
To learn more about why Derek Brown, Gerald Albright, and Eddie Daniels exclusively play Legere, visit www.legere.com
And for a limited time, if you live in the US or Canada, use the code EVERYTHINGSAX for 10% off at their store at shop.legere.com.
The store is only available to US and Canadian residents.
Want to be a part of keeping the podcast going?
Did you know you can get a complete listing of all our shows, as well as Bonus videos and searchable transcripts? All you need to do is become a Patron!
Patrons play a huge role in helping to defray the costs of storing each episode’s video and audio, and producing and hosting the show.
And, with their small monthly donation of $2 or more, they help keep the great interviews coming. If you want to become a patron and support the show, head on over to our PATREON site
Podcast: Play in new window | Download